Shoosmiths - UK Law Firm of the Year Winner at the Legal Week British Legal Awards 2015.
A leading UK law firm with a network of offices from the South Coast to Scotland, working together as one national team. An innovative practice and the first top 100 law firm to achieve “Gold Standard” Investors in People, our values and culture are not just words on our website but are the heartbeat of the firm. The lack of barriers between departments, a real lack of hierarchy, zero tolerance for arrogance and pomposity makes Shoosmiths a fantastic place to work.
Shoosmiths Private Client Conveyancing Team offers a highly professional conveyancing service designed to make the process of buying or selling your personal property anywhere in the world as efficient and stress-free as can be.
For further information, please see here: http://www.shoosmiths.co.uk/services/Conveyancing-4393.aspx
We have a fantastic opportunity for a Legal Apprentice to join our busy Residential Conveyancing Team. As a Legal Apprentice, you will receive full internal training from the firm alongside completion of the Chartered Institute of Legal Executives (CILEx) Level 3 qualification.
You will play an integral role in supporting the case teams throughout the full conveyancing process (from inception through to post-completion) and will be given training to develop your knowledge of the different types of transactions (freehold, leasehold, shared ownership, new build, etc.).
Full internal training will be provided to develop the successful candidate, alongside completion of the Chartered Institute of Legal Executives (CILEX) Level 3 qualification.
The apprenticeship programme runs for a two year period, and provides the perfect foundation for a candidate to further progress their education to achieve full fellowship status with CILEX in the future, should the candidate make the decision to do so.
As part of the apprenticeship programme, your responsibilities will include:
- Work within a team to assist with the full Conveyancing process - this will be from opening and incepting files, carrying out local searches, liaising with customers as well as other third parties and post-completion tasks.
- Use a Case Management System to produce, store and diarise activity on each case
- Progress the administration of transactions proactively and keep customers updated.
- Work within a strictly regulated, compliance driven environment
- Take client instructions, and ensure that information is clearly communicated between the parties as required
- Various administrative duties such as dealing with post, filing, file closures and distributing faxes
There are fantastic opportunities for progression within the Conveyancing department following the successful completion of your 24 month apprenticeship, which would see you develop into a fully-fledged Case Handler responsible for your own residential conveyancing case load. There are further opportunities to progress beyond this to Senior Case Handler and Assistant Conveyancer in the long-term.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and Outlook).
- Ability to work within a business environment
- Ability to work with technology
- Customer service skills
- Excellent telephone manner.
- Excellent Team Player
- Treat colleague’s clients and suppliers with equal respect.
- Enthusiasm and willingness to learn.
- Dress appropriately and deal with all contacts in a professional manner.
- Act at all times in accordance with the firm’s Valued Legal Services Agreed Behaviours.
- A commitment to on-going development and education.
- Strong attention to detail
Minimum entry qualifications:
- A minimum of 5 GCSEs at grade C or above (or equivalent), including English and Maths.
- 3 A Levels at grade C or above
- This is a monthly paid post and you will be entitled to 23 days annual leave with the flexible option to buy or sell up to 8 holiday days per year.
- You are responsible for funding your own travel to and from your place of work.
- You must conduct yourself in a safe and diligent manner and comply with health and safety policies and procedures.
- You must uphold and promote the company policies and procedures, promoting those specifically to your area of work, including Equality and Diversity and Safeguarding.
- Shoosmiths is a committed Equal Opportunities employer promoting equality of opportunity. This means that everyone who either applies to or works for the firm is treated equally, whatever their gender, age, ethnic origin, nationality, marital status, disability, sexual orientation or religious beliefs.
Salary & Benefits package
The basic salary is £211.50 per week (£11,000 per annum) plus our standard benefits package.
Shoosmiths has an outstanding benefits package; we believe that all staff should be rewarded for their commitment to the continued success of the firm. These include:
- A pension scheme with employer contributions of up to 5.5%
- Generous life assurance cover for peace of mind, up to 8 times salary
- Up to 23 paid working days holiday per annum with the option to buy up to 8 additional days. You can choose to 'flex' twice a year - January and July
- 'Happy Birthday!' - have a free day off to celebrate and a £50 voucher to spend! (We won't take it from your annual entitlement)
- Childcare vouchers which are not subject to tax or NI
- Interest free season ticket loans
- Staff introduction bonus scheme
- Corporate discounts on a wide variety of products and services
- Discounted conveyancing and legal advice, for instance for wills and family trusts
If you'd like to enquire about the salary, please feel free to get in touch with me via email@example.com or 03700 863 267.
The application process
We will aim to respond to you within 3-4 working days following your application. If successful, you will be contacted by a member of our recruitment team for an informal telephone discussion. There will be one interview stage which will be held at our Northampton office (The Lakes, Northampton, NN4 7SH) with a member of our Recruitment Team and line managers from the Conveyancing department, which will also include proof-reading and numeracy tests
Interested but have further questions? Get in touch with me directly via email (firstname.lastname@example.org), phone (03700 863 267) or LinkedIn (https://www.linkedin.com/in/matthew-mercer-91811a25).
Shoosmiths is a committed Equal Opportunities employer promoting equality of opportunity. This means that everyone who either applies to or works for the firm is treated equally, whatever their gender, age, ethnic origin, nationality, marital status, disability, sexual orientation or religious beliefs.