Shoosmiths - UK Law Firm of the Year Winner at the Legal Week British Legal Awards 2015.
A leading UK law firm with a network of offices from the South Coast to Scotland, working together as one national team. An innovative practice and the first top 100 law firm to achieve “Gold Standard” Investors in People, our values and culture are not just words on our website but are the heartbeat of the firm. The lack of barriers between departments, a real lack of hierarchy, zero tolerance for arrogance and pomposity makes Shoosmiths a fantastic place to work.
We are seeking a SharePoint/K2 Developer on a contract basis who will form part of a team responsible for the development and maintenance of the IT systems and services employed by Shoosmiths' legal and business support departments. The post-holder will be involved in all phases of the development of business-changing enterprise solutions, using K2, SharePoint 2013 and other technologies. The post-holder will also contribute significantly to third-tier support processes, resolving problems, documenting root causes and improving service levels.
Systems Development and Administration
- Methodically investigate, analyse and document business requirements.
- Design, develop and maintain key software components using K2, Microsoft .Net and SharePoint Server 2013, in accordance with Shoosmiths Software and Security Development Lifecycles.
- Implement K2/SharePoint-based workflows, together with development of Business Intelligence dashboards.
- Design, develop, and manage site content and capabilities and provide daily onsite maintenance of the existing SharePoint portals.
- Develop reports as specified by the business and/or clients.
- Test all software developments and resolve any issues, ensuring Shoosmiths’ systems operate in a reliable manner.
- Ensure appropriate documentation is created and maintained for all system developments.
- Work with Shoosmiths Project Managers, providing accurate development estimates as requested.
- Ensure systems change management is carried out in accordance with agreed standards and procedures.
- Administer and maintain the Shoosmiths’ systems in accordance with the needs of the business.
- Provide technical and user support on Shoosmiths’ software solutions.
- Provide a key point of liaison between the business and the IS Department, ensuring a rapid response to all problems, ideas, issues and queries raised.
- Develop implementation plans required to deal with complex requests for change, evaluating any risks to the integrity of Shoosmiths infrastructure associated with the change.
- Support other members of the Development team and of the IS Department as a whole.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
- Continually update technical knowledge and skills by attending training courses and keeping abreast of developments in both the IT and legal sector press.
- Ensure that internal customers receive the highest levels of service.
- Complete any reasonable tasks allocated.
Personal skills and competencies
- Excellent communication skills with people at all levels of the business
- Self-motivating with a flexible approach
- Inquisitive with an analytical mind, but well grounded in reality.
- Identifies opportunities for improvement
- Excellent skills in documentation writing
- Process driven, able to follow a methodology
- Has the confidence and maturity to deal effectively with colleagues in all parts and levels of the business.
- Sets and manages user expectations
Role-specific knowledge and expertise
- A minimum of 2 years experience as a SharePoint Developer, including the analysis, design, hands-on development and delivery of web-based applications.
- Experience with SharePoint’s application services framework including implementation, configuration, and usages of Search, Managed Metadata, and User Profile Services.
- A minimum of 2 years experience using .Net, either VB .Net or C#.
- Ability to write stored procedures, write complex SQL queries, and ability to analyse SQL data.
- Good understanding of IT systems and infrastructure.
- Experience with K2
- Knowledge of VBA, VB6 and Classic ASP.
- Experience with Microsoft SSRS and SSIS
- Knowledge of Powershell scripting.
- Experience of SAP, particularly SAP Duet
Experience, qualifications and other role-specific requirements
- Good A Levels/BTEC Preferred
- Qualified to HND/BSc level or above.
- ITIL qualifications
- Experience in a professional services firm or other service sector industry
Occasional travel to other Shoosmiths offices may be necessary.
It is essential that the post holder can work flexible or extended hours to complete some tasks outside of core business hours of 08:00 to 18:00.
The post-holder will ensure full compliance with all Data Protection laws and any relevant policies and guidelines.
Due to the nature of the work undertaken, confirmation of employment will be subject to a variety of checks which will be carried out once an offer of employment is accepted. These checks will include employment references covering the last 5 years, proof of ID, proof of address covering the last 5 years, Personnel Vetting credit search (which will only highlight insolvency or County Court Judgments - should any adverse data show on the Personnel Vetting search then any offer of employment made will be withdrawn). A DBS check (previously known as a Criminal Records check) will also be carried out.
Shoosmiths is a committed Equal Opportunities employer promoting equality of opportunity. This means that everyone who either applies to or works for the firm is treated equally, whatever their gender, age, ethnic origin, nationality, marital status, disability, sexual orientation or religious beliefs.